Monday, September 7, 2009

Mothering is Living to the nth Degree. . .

This may be just a figment of my imagination. I'm probably totally wrong--but I need a bit of a boost today, and creating a little mythology around the importance of what I do seems just the ticket.

I am exhausted--and I can tell it's an emotional thing. I have been working fairly hard at being the adult in residence today. That's painful but not too hard when the toddler/pre-schooler set is rolling around like puppies. A bit more stressful when nursing a true, outdoor adventure induced physical trauma. But I am most pulled to the limit when the faculties an offspring is exercising involve arguing, emotions, and a critical attack on the examples of parenting and womanhood readily available for critique. . .that'd be me.

I have kept my cool. I have gently but firmly demanded respect. I have maintained verbal acceptance and support in the face of a maelstrom of emotion. I am ready to nap!

When things are quiet on the homefront I sometimes get caught-up in certain less than healthy political banter--esp on Facebook. I have been know to have some strong emotions myself when I feel marginalised, that my thoughts and opinions are dismissed out of hand. But it's all theoretical. I vote. I value civic participation. "Your wrong. I'm right. All those folks are evil." has very little impact on my life, and on the world.

So this very challenging morning has brought me back to the work that is worthy of my energy--that of teaching respect, communication, responsibility, and compassion. Teaching what should come first--in this house it's Jesus first, family second. But that has to be re-learned every day--sometimes every hour or minute!!

It is a good tired. It is Labor Day after all!

No comments: