For many year I have been familiar with the neighborly steering wheel wave. Thanks to Cumberstone Road I had been in the habit of raising one or more fingers off the wheel to acknowledge the neighbor driving past. So moving to New Harbour, the Bristol Mills Maine was not a huge cultural change for me.
But one thing I had not experienced until moving to this sweet mid-coast region was the social aspect of driving in town. I now an acquainted with enough people (La Leche League, Library story time, narrating puppet shows all over town, Weight Watchers, St. Patrick's--I get around!) that driving through town becomes a fun gathering of friends passing each other with friendly smiles, waves, shouts of "Hello!" etc.
For an extrovert like me, this is a dream come true! And as far as I can imagine from my days riding the subway in Toronto, where you are packed in like sardines and working hard to deny the existence of the people around you.
No comments:
Post a Comment