I got the Moosewood cookbook in college. But I left it in the lowers common room kitchen. Then I got it when my oldest baby was about 2--that's be 12 years ago. I still love it so much, and many of the recipes are family favorites. More than favorites, they are sustainers and healers of life!
Take tonight.
Who knew that pregnancy at 37, with 5 home schooled kids would be such an exercise in sacrifice, and continually having to perform beyond what I thought was my limit?
Maybe a thoughtful person could have predicted that--but I'm not that thoughtful--I just love babies!!
Tonight I was laying on my bed--not hungry--not knowing what was for dinner--and not thinking I could move another muscle today. Some grace, some prayer ,some child noise, all worked together to get me up off the bed.
More grace and prayer and looking through the cupboards brought me to the Brazilian Blackbean Soup recipe from the Moosewood. OH JOY! The smell of onions, much garlic, cumin and carrots sauteing in my pot!! Soon I will add the beans and O.J. Thalia's biscuits will be warm and fluffy. Simple pleasures. Simple sacrifices.
I'm so thankful to God that I can smell! I don't know how I'd get through otherwise!!
No comments:
Post a Comment