Tuesday, March 22, 2011

First Unifom

This afternoon I discovered a new Lenten sacrifice worthy of time off purgatory. I had to sew emblems and Pack Numbers onto John Henry's new Webelo's uniform. Sounds easy. I thought it would be easy. But one badge was too low for the numbers to fit between it and the pocket. Re-do. One number was crooked. Re-do. One is still too high--will re-do at a later date.







Stitch. Stitch. Stitch. Ouch!

After a while--when I got into the groove I was able to reflect on what I was doing. Sewing on the uniform of a 9 year old. What other uniform will this child wear as he grows? The casual non-specific uniform of a college student in the 2020's? A military uniform? The uniform of a religious order or of the priesthood? Perhaps this is the first in a long line.


But I don't ever meditate on the future for too long. I know that my own daydreams of my children's future will have little impact on their choices. Also, I don't know Young Man John Henry. I know this John Henry and want to enjoy every moment that we have together. This affectionate, intelligent, curious, creative, boy-ish boy. Qualities that are common to almost every child, and yet he is unique and precious to me. The boy with the splitting smile, the crinkly eyes.


So I sewed my love for him with each stitch. In the end it is appropriate that one thread is loose, one badge a bit high, one letter a bit crooked. Regardless of my love for all of my children, it is imperfect. I hope I can point them towards the only perfect love available to them. Remind them that they have a perfect Mother in Mary, and the infinite well of God's Love.


Stitch. Stitch. Ouch! That is Marriage and family in a nutshell, isn't it?
















No comments: