
Seems like it takes a feast Day to get me to post! Happy Ascension Thursday everyone! The kids and I took the day off school (a RARE things in this house--if a Catholic took EVERY feast day off it would be hard to get a school year done in 12 months. But today is a day of Obligation after all.)
We went to Thomas Point Beach with our Homeschool group, released a red heart-shaped balloon to re-create the first ascension, talked a bit about how neat it would be if Jesus came again right now, and scooted to the 4 pm Mass at St Patrick's before trying to hit the time/space wormhole that lets a mother drop 2 children at 2 simultaneous Farm Team games 20 miles apart. Haven't found that one yet. Thalia was late, and MC and John Henry had to wait for us to pick them up.
My new knowledge for the day is that these 9 more day till Pentecost are the foundation of the Catholic tradition of praying certain prayers for particular intentions for 9 days--the Novena. The bible refers to Mary and the Apostles praying and fasting for 9 days after the ascension. Now I don't know if that began on ascension Thursday, or the day after--but on either the ninth day, or the day after the ninth day of prayer, depending, here comes the HOLY SPIRIT. I asked Mary Catherine if she knew the source of Novenas and her response was a carefree "JA MOM! The days between Ascension and Pentecost!" She even quoted the verse! Well call me the ignorant convert! Who Knew?
So tomorrow we will begin our Novena to the Holy Spirit. I don't know what our special intention will be yet. Maybe I'll get some guidance overnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment