
First Communion with the entire cluster (7 parishes I think) can be frantic. After a school year of teaching a sweet class of 9 students, gathering with over 100 7 and 8 year olds is overwhelming and de-personalizing. To add to the stress, in the rehearsal our class was strewn throughout the mass of children. This was downright painful for the twins, whose Mama Bear Mama was ready to battle for her girls sitting together.
What is a Sacrament Prep teacher to do? Pray, and make some decisions. On the night of the sacraments I just made a new row. A St. Patrick's row. When they began filling up the woman in charge suggested that some of my children move over to even out the rows. I very sweetly said, "No. This is St. Patrick's. They are staying together." This seemed to be enough of an explanation. I felt like a Jedi: "These are not the communicants you're looking for."
So I saw them off in the procession, and sprinted upstairs to supervise the seating. I don't know what I thought I would do, but I stood behind the Knight of Columbus as the children and their sponsors filed into the pews. I especially wanted to make sure the twins were not split between pews.
Here is the Wonderful part.
A pew began with the first girl in my class. It ended with the second twin. The next pew was short because of a column. It ended with the last child in my class.
PERFECT!
Thank you Lord!! Thank you for loving our children so well as to humbly come to them as a little piece of bread, and for taking care of every little detail, including the seating.
No comments:
Post a Comment