Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I know there is a connection!


First--Happy Feast of Our Lady of Fatima!! If you haven't read about the apparitions at Fatima Portugal you need to. A beautiful example of the simple faith of children, and the wonderful powers of God. I have a tradition of reading Sister Lucia's own account of her first communion to my children before they themselves receive. Wonderful!

The connection I'm looking for is between the feast day, and my successful, and totally exhausting day. It's been sunny, lessons have been done well, laundry washed, folded, and even put away! Healthy lunch and even snacks. Cheese dripping. Phyllo thawing for dinner. Children playing happily outside. Can it get better than this?

I have worked hard, and prayed hard--for my children, for a family who lost their adult daughter, for my husband who is working late into the night--and I feel it in every bone. A good, full bodied tired. A tired that lets me know I am living my vocation to the fullest.

Maybe that is the connection. The children of Fatima, two of whom died young, and one lived her life as a holy nun, lived their vocations to the fullest with the encouragement of Our Lady. It is when I am on my knees (prayer, or physical collapse--doesn't matter) that I can most profoundly feel God's presence, and that of His gentle Mother. In these moments of Homemaking and Mothering fatigue I can look most assuredly to Our Lady for her loving support as I continue on the road to Jesus through this vocation of love, laundry, and laughter.

1 comment:

Winter's Mama said...

Allison, you're very inspiring! Just when I'm having an I didn't get anything done, everything's a mess and I have no idea what's for dinner day, you write about your good day, and remind me that I, too will have a good day again, maybe tomorrow?