Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Day the Firemen Came--by Arveragus


First-crawl into the bathroom, shut the door and open a drawer. Start crying. Open more drawers. Cry some more. Listen to mom talking to you through the door. Listen to Mom on the phone. Gratefully receive a pacifier squeezed through the door by big sister. Cry some more. The PRESTO--you get a big firetruck in the parking lot!


The Firemen will use a kitchen knife to shut the drawers and release you.

Thanks Firemen--see you next time!
(ed note: John is out buying drawer locks right now!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm-does that feel anything like accidently locking your kid in the car? Nancy Basham

Soutenus said...

Wow did this bring back a memory!! My little guy, who is now 8, locked himself in MY room one afternoon when he was about 1 year old. The window was open (screen was in) and I was in a state of sheer panic thinking he would head for the big window seat...crawl up and lean into the screen which would FOR SURE not hold his weight.
In a matter of minutes I tried every trick in the book to get in...kept talking to him to keep him close to the door and AWAY from the window. Finally I got his big sister to keep talking to him as I ran to find a ladder. The ladder would not reach the window.
As I raced around to the front of the house an older gentleman who did work on neighbors yards was driving by. I flagged him down -- at this point I was ready to break the door in but it is a very sturdy door. He came up and deftly removed the doorknob with a screwdriver he had in his truck.
(I had tried to remove the doorknob as one of my first "tricks" and could not do it)
Whew - just thinking back on that gives me chills.
I am so glad your little one is safe and sound!!!!