
Today, Friday, was my day to work on the Easter dresses. This is my fourth year making the girls' dresses, and my first sewing darts! Heady stuff, that!
Every year my method in getting this fussy, focused, baby un-friendly work done is different. There was the all-nighter year. The year we went to a hotel and I sewed while the kids watched animal planet. (I thought that was "safe" but found myself explaining IUD's to Thalia's "What are they selling in THIS commercial Momma?"--she was shocked!).
This year I'm trying to include the girls. I hope Mary Catherine will do most of the straight seam sewing. Thalia uses scraps for her doll clothes. The boys roll around under foot. It is a challenge. But it is also a wonderful exercise is working together.
One of the down sides of the industrial revolution was the transfer of work from the family to the factory--or office. Working in the home together gives my children the experience of seeing how my efforts, and theirs, contribute to the family in concrete terms. Mommy's work is not a mysterious thing that happens in a building far away--it's right here--right now. This goes for anything from cooking, to sewing, to working on the budget, to writing talks for the various organizations for which I volunteer. I love that I do all of this in the heart of my family. I am truly privileged--and so are my children.
Adding to this joy was that my friend and her daughter joined us today. She altered her jeans and two of my skirts (yes, they had to be taken in--thanks for noticing) while I pinned and cut.
We stopped just short of actual sewing. Mary Catherine was disappointed, but this too was a lesson. The baby was getting fussy, and dinner was calling to be started. Better to stop now on an up note, then wait till we are all crying and hungry. I promised a post-little-kid-bed-time session tonight.
2 comments:
Hey, your blog rocks--I really feel connected with Eddyblouin life--we're missing you guys badly at St. Pat's--John Troxel went to the pro-life march in Washington dc--came back fired up--two busloads of mostly home-schooled kids from Maine--John will be receiving Eucharist and Confirmation at Easter vigil--I think a vocation is a possibility--I went to Republican caucus--Nobleboro vote: Romney 16, McCain 6, Huckabee 1 (moi); Linda went to Democratic caucus (we have a mixed marriage); twice as many people, 2-1 for Barack, Linda likes him , but won't go for him in the G.E., as we're pro-life--I hope I've figured out how to do this new fangled thing right--my first blog entry--God bless you all--say hello to the kids for me--Jesus rules!
Bill Murdock
Hey There Eddyblouins, the Urbanik Clan in Wyoming misses you, until now! I am glad to read your blog and see pictures. Hope to talk to you soon! I would like to tell you about "Simply Sara's"!
Hi to all of the readers in Maine! We miss you all and St.Patricks, the ocean and the fellowship! Hope you are all well!
Sara Urbanik
Post a Comment