Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mama Mediatations

Today is Fat Tuesday. We had pancakes and chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. We had icecream out of the boxes and tubs for lunch with the cookie dough that never got cooked. Today I'm cleaning the kitchen. I am also trying to pray and think about what my focus for lent will be. How to grow in holiness? How to I get closer to Christ.

I lugged out my bucket of baking soda to tackle the oven cleaning job. As I was opening the bucket I realized that I'd used this baking soda three times already today. Pancakes, cookies, and cleaning. What a wonderful substance! As I was scrubbing away at the oven racks when I started to think about my pre-lent questions.

The simple humilty of baking soda struck me as a good tool for meditation. Useful, willing to work at whatever task it's put to. I need to be more like baking soda. If I'm baking soda, then God is the scrubber--using me to bring shiny clean love into the world. But maybe the baking soda is love itself--the holy spirit--then I would be the dirty rack--being scrubbed clean and made more truly what God wants me to be. If the baking soda is baking soda, and God is setting tasks for me to do with love, then I must be. . . ME! Happy to be cleaning and loving for this family.

In the end I didn't feel these thoughts were all that fruitful. Then it was;maybe I should just try to repeat today's exercise in meditative cleaning as a lenten observance.


No comments: